Sunday, March 11, 2012

My Cat's Tumor Pt. 2 (Graphic Images)



It took me a really long time to write this post. I just...didn't want to think about this situation anymore. I hope it is over forever

You may remember a post from last year about My cat's tumor. Well, it came back. Last summer, in July 2011, we noticed a bump on my cat's chin. The bump turned out to be a tumor, and while it was unlikely that it would spread, it was right below her lip and would surely affect her ability to eat/drink as it grew. We had it removed in August, and hoped that was the end of it.

It wasn't.

In early December, we noticed a bump had returned to my cat's chin. We hoped it was just scar tissue or something similar, so we decided to just keep an eye on it. Over the course of December, it grew enough to become concerning, so we took her to the vet in January. He came to the conclusion that he did not get all of it last time and that it was the same tumor returning.

January 3, 2012
January 12, 2012
 We set up an appointment as soon as we could, and she had surgery on January 20th.


Post-Surgery January 20, 2012

Post-Surgery January 20, 2012
The vet pretty much took all the tissue he could right down to her jawbone. The incision looked very nasty. In fact, while getting ready to leave the vet, she rubbed it on the side of her carrier and it started bleeding everywhere. I am very squeamish and nearly fainted at the sight of it. They had to put a cone on her so she wouldn't pick at it. She was so miserable. I only left the cone on for one night.


She looked pretty bruised and beat-up for a couple of days, but was not acting different at all. She did really well, and recovered very quickly. The vet called and said the pathologist thought this time the he got it all, though the margins were small. Fingers crossed that they are right!

January 21, 2012
January 22, 2012
January 22, 2012
January 22, 2012 
I took her to get her stitches out 10 days after surgery. She did not like going back to the vet and cried the whole time. She was fine again, though, after I brought her home.


January 30, 2012

February 1, 2012


Today, March 11, 2012, she is fully healed and looks great. I really hope that was the last we see of that stupid tumor!!!

March 11, 2012







No comments: